Free or Reduced Price Meal Benefits

Apply Online!
Submit Application Online
Check Application Status Online


The Kershaw County School District has online applications for Free & Reduced Meal Benefits online through Families have to apply for the status each year. Families qualify for the service based on the number of persons in the household compared to income levels. For example, a household of four with an annual income of $42,643 or less (or $821 a week) would qualify for reduced meals while the same size family with an income of $29,965 or less (or $577 a week) would qualify for free meals.

The district office (2029 W. DeKalb Street in Camden) has computers available for persons to use to access the free/reduced meal application if needed. Schools will also have some available computers but recommended contacting your local school to find out its schedule of availability for these computers. KCSD schools and the district office are open Mondays through Thursdays from 7:45 a.m. until 5 p.m. this summer.

Department staff:
square bullet Misha Lawyer, Registered Dietitian and Coordinator
square bullet Leigh Gunter, Food Service Specialist

Online Benefits Application
Apply Online!
Submit Application Online
Check Application Status Online


PDF 2013-14 District Policy for Meal Benefits Guidelines


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if my child (or children) are eligible to receive free or reduced price meal benefits?
Please review the district policy for free and reduced price meals for children served in schools under the National School Lunch Program and the School Breakfast Program for information regarding this program.

Do I need to fill out an application for each child?
No. Complete one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the application to: Food Services at 2029 W. DeKalb St. Camden, SC 29020.

When are meals served?
Breakfast and lunch are offered every day.

What about breakfast benefits?
The student status applies to both meals - so free price school meals covers both breakfast and lunch, and reduced price school meals covers both breakfast and lunch.

Who can get free meals?
Children in households getting SNAP (formerly Food Stamps) or TANF and most foster children can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free price meals if your household income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.

Can foster children get free meals?
Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court, are eligible for free meals. Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income.

Can homeless, runaway and migrant children get free meals?
Please call Timothy Hopkins at (803) 432-8416 to see if your child(ren) qualify, if you have not been informed that they will get free meals.

Who can get reduced price meals?
Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Income Chart.

Should I fill out an application if I got a letter this school year saying my child(ren) are approved for free or reduced price meals?
Please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. Call the number listed on the letter if you have questions.

My child’s application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out another one?
Yes. Your child’s application is only good for the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application every year.

I get WIC. Can my child(ren) get free meals?
Children in household participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an application.

Will the information I give be checked?
Yes, we may ask you to send written proof.

If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later?
Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start getting Food Stamps, TANF or other benefits. If you lose your job, your child(ren) may be able to get free or reduced price meals since the income changed.

What if I disagree with the decision about my application?
You should talk to the nutrition department at the district office. You also may ask for a hearing by calling (803) 432-8416 or by writing to: Food Services at 2029 W. DeKalb St. Camden, SC 29020

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?
Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals.

Who should I include as members of my household?
You must include ALL people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends). You must include yourself and all children who live with you.

What if my income is not always the same?
List the amount that you normally get. For example, if you normally get $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you get it only sometimes.

We are in the military; do we include our housing allowance as income?
If your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. All other allowances must be included in your gross income.

My spouse is deployed to a combat zone. Is his/her combat pay counted as income?
No, if the combat pay is received in addition to her basic pay because of his/her deployment and it wasn’t received before he/she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. Contact your school for more information.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Contact Information

Misha Lawyer
Registered Dietitian and Coordinator
2029 West DeKalb Street
Camden, SC 29020
Phone: (803) 432-8416, ext. 1249